Professor Shoda joined the University of Washington faculty in 1996 and has research interests in social psychology and personality, coherence and perception of personality, social cognition, computational modeling of personality processes, health and coping behavior.
- Cervone, D., & Shoda, Y. (Eds). (1999). The coherence of personality: Social-cognitive bases of personality consistency, variability, and organization. New York: Guilford.
- Ayduk, O., Downey, G., Testa, S., Yin, Y., & Shoda, Y. (1999). Does rejection elicit hostility in rejection sensitive women? Social Cognition.
- Cervone, D., & Shoda, Y. (1999). Beyond traits in the study of personality coherence. Current Directions in Psychological Science.
- Lemm, K., Shoda, Y., & Mischel, W. (1995). The teleological behavioristic account of self-control: A cognitive analysis in behavioristic clothing? Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 18, 135-136.
- Mendoza-Denton, R., Ayduk, O. N., Shoda, Y., & Mischel, W. (1997). Cognitive-affective processing system analysis of reactions to the O. J. Simpson criminal trial verdict. Journal of Social Issues, 53, 563-581.
- Miller, S. M., Shoda, Y., & Hurley, K. (1996). Applying cognitive social theory to health protective behavior: Breast self-examination in cancer screening. Psychological Bulletin, 119, 70-94.
- Roussi, P., Miller, S. M., & Shoda, Y. (in press). Discriminative facility in the face of threat: Relationship to psychological distress. Psychology and Health.
- Shoda, Y., & Mischel, W. (2000). Reconciling contextualism with the core assumptions of personality psychology. European Journal of Personality, 14, 407-428.
- Shoda, Y., & Mischel, W. (1993). Cognitive social approach to dispositional inferences: What if the perceiver is a cognitive-social theorist? Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 19, 574-585.
- Shoda, Y., Mischel, W., & Wright, J. C. (1993). Links between personality judgments and contextualized behavior patterns: Situation-behavior profiles of personality prototypes. Social Cognition, 4, 399-429.
- Mischel, W., & Shoda, Y. (1999). Integrating dispositions and processing dynamics within a unified theory of personality: The Cognitive Affective Personality System (CAPS). In L. A. Pervin & O. John (Eds.), Handbook of personality: Theory and research. New York: Guilford.
- Mischel, W., & Shoda, Y. (1998). Reconciling processing dynamics and personality dispositions. Annual Review of Psychology, 49, 229-258. Palo Alto, CA: Annual Reviews Inc.
- Shoda, Y. (in press). Behavioral signatures of personality: Perception and generation of coherence. In D. Cervone & Y. Shoda (Eds.), The coherence of personality: Social-cognitive bases of personality consistency, variability, and organization. New York: Guilford.
Department of Psychology
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington 98195-1525
- Phone: (206) 543-2318
- Fax: (206) 685-3157